Women and Wikimedian projects: Questions for interviews
For the background of this series of interviews, as well as for interviews, please take a look at the page Women and Wikimedia projects and its subpages.
Here are the questions for interviews. I will personally send them to all female Wikimedians who I know. If you are a female Wikimedian and I didn’t send the questions to you, feel free to take them, give answers to them and send me an email.
Hi, this is a set of questions for an interview. I want to interview as more as possible women who are participating in Wikimedia projects. For the background, please, take a look at the post on my blog.
Here are some technical and meta issues related to this interview:
- If you know some other female Wikimedian contributor who is willing to give an interview, please let me know or simply forward this email to her (and replace your name in answers with her). There is a set of questions for male Wikimedians, too. However, male Wikimedian should be nominated for this interview by female who participated in interview.
- There are a couple of options which you have according to this interview:
- You don’t have to participate, of course. However, if you don’t want to participate, I would like to know why it is so.
- You may choose to have an anonymous interview. But, I have to know who you are because of interview validity. (Of course, as I am sending this through an email, the last condition applies only to contributors to whom I didn’t send an email directly.)
- You may choose not to answer to some of the questions.
- This is an interview, not a questionnaire. This means that even if some questions are for yes/no/date/time response, please don’t give a simple answer. Make a descriptive answer. For example, the first question is “How long you are involved in Wikimedian projects?”. Feel free to write there how did you find Wikipedia, who is “responsible” for involving etc.
- Note that I want to publish your answers on my blog and/or inside of some relevant Wikimedian place (Wikinews, Wikizine, ?). As it may be a reason why you don’t want to participate, please let me know.
- I sent to you HTML formated email. I am sorry because of that 😉 but it is the best way (after wiki) how to format text by email. (OK, if you want, you may format text in wiki syntax if you want 🙂 )
- It is possible that your answers give to me some more ideas. Because of that, it is possible that I would send to you some more questions.
- Of course, you are free to give me any kind of suggestion related to this interview.
Milos Rancic: How long you are involved in Wikimedian projects?
Milos Rancic: Do you have some of the privileges on projects: admin, bureaucrat, checkuser, oversight, steward? (You don’t need to tell what privileges you have.) If you have some of them, do you think that you gain them easier or harder because you are female or you think that it was not relevant?
Milos Rancic: By your opinion, what is the main reason of small relative number of women on Wikimedian projects?
Milos Rancic: Do you think that your communication with the rest of the (particular and global) community is easier or harder because you are female or you think that it is not relevant?
Milos Rancic: If you were in some decision-making process, do you think that your opinion (not) passed easier or harder because you are female or you think that it was not relevant?
Milos Rancic: Do you think that Wikimedian culture is sexist?
Milos Rancic: Have you ever been insulted on sexual/gender basis? If you did, how often is it happening?
Milos Rancic: By your opinion, are there some positive examples and positive trends in Wikimedian communities toward better involvement of females in contributing to Wikimedian projects?
Milos Rancic: What do you think that it should be done to change the situation?
Milos Rancic: By your opinion, what are the most important issues which should be solved to make better involvement of women in contributing to Wikimedian projects?
Milos Rancic: Do you think that there are some other important questions related to this issue? If so, please tell them and try to give an answer to them.