Google Wave and Wikimedia projects
Probably, some of you already saw that Google made something for which I think that it will be the new form of the mainstream Internet perception. You may read Slashdot article , a good description at the blog “Google Operating System”  (not officially connected with Google) and, of course, you may see the official site with more than one hour of presentation .
I expected such kind of tool (a client connected with others via P2P XML-based protocol; with servers for identification). However, I didn’t expect that it will come so soon, that it will be done by one large corporation and that it will be done at the right way: open protocol, free software referent implementation.
At the official site they said that it will start to work during this year. As one large corporation is behind the project, as well as free and open source community is able to participate, I have no doubts that it will be implemented all over the Internet (and not just Internet) very quickly. Probably, in two years the basic component of one modern operating system will not be a Web browser, but a Wave client. Probably, Web will become a storage system, while all of the interaction will be done via Waves.
This development of Internet is very strongly related to the Wikimedia projects:
- I want to be able to edit Wikipedia through the Wave client.
- I want to add my own notes to articles, history of articles etc.
- I want to have collection of my knowledge at one place, including Wikipedia articles and my notes.
- I want to be able to make a program which would analyze articles on Wikipedia and to give program and/or analysis to my friends.
- I want many more things to be browsable or editable or whatever from a Wave client…
All of those my (but, in one year, not just my) wishes may be fulfilled just through work on MediaWiki and Pywikipediabot. So, I am calling all of you who are willing to think about it or who are at the position to think about it — to start with thinking 🙂
 – http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/05/28/1912226/Googles-Wave-Blurs-Chat-Email-Collaboration-Software
 – http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2009/05/google-wave.html
 – http://wave.google.com/