Do you know where I am from?
(The event below happened in February 2011. I didn’t want to spread this as it sounds a bit embarrassing. But, anonymized it could pass.)
It was about chapters. And here are brief points from emails:
- Someone from WMF: “Hello, we want to make IRC meeting of Asian chapters.” — representatives of chapters on the list, visible from the extensions of their emails or from their names: Hong Kong, Ukraine, <Chinese name with Gmail account>, myself, Macedonia, Philippines, Indonesia.
- Indonesian: “Sorry, we are too busy and have some internal issues, so we won’t be able to attend the meeting.”
- Filipino: “It will be too late for us, but I’ll try to manage to attend.”
- <Chinese name>: “On which channel the meeting would be?”
- Someone from WMF: “As nobody except you said anything, it is likely that it will be on #wikimedia-hk.” — this time email was sent to me and to <Chinese name>. Note that I didn’t say anything.
- <Chinese name>: “My chapter is Wikimedia Taiwan.”
Consequently, I concluded that I am from Hong Kong. I didn’t know that before, but I am always open for self-insights.